The award is created by bloggers, for bloggers to encourage a sense of community and support among writers. When nominated you have to answer eleven questions and come up with eleven of your own to send to eleven other inspirational bloggers.
It may sound like a bit of a pyramid scheme, but I’ll give it a go. I’m just happy someone noticed my blog!
Favourite genre to read?
I must admit, I haven’t read an entire book in years because I always get distracted halfway through. I like quirky stories like Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, or Everyone’s a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too by Jomny Sun.
Favourite genre to write?
Comedy of course – that’s why I started Oddball Content! The words just flow and I get so excited when I think of a good joke. I like to imagine the readers giggling to themselves.
Poolside or exploring holiday?
Definitely exploring. In January 2017 I went above the Arctic Circle in Finland and Sweden to do husky sledding, snowmobiling and sleeping in an igloo. I’ve also stayed in a treehouse and a yurt!
What is your ultimate aim or hope for your blog? No matter how ridiculous it might seem.
Slightly less ambitious aims are to:
- commission some guest posts
- hire a graphic designer to make a cool logo and header image
- interview experts and write posts on film making, film theory and careers in film and TV – so the blog can inform as well as entertain
- get a media kit in place
- make some money from blogging
- write guest posts for other blogs.
Who is your favourite fictional character? Why?
My immediate thought is Eustacia Vye from Hardy’s The Return of the Native. She is mysterious, yearns to escape her boring village life, waits ages for a long-lost love who eventually spurns her, and she has a telescope and an hourglass. That’s pretty cool!
Oddest job you have either done or heard of?
When I worked at a social media agency I had to tweet on behalf of famous companies and individuals. I can’t name any names though, shh….
Is there one country that you really want to visit above all others? Why that one?
Probably Japan because it seems like an exotic mix of the super modern and the super traditional. When I was a young Pokemon fan I always wanted to go there but I never believed it could ever happen. Now I’m older I know it’s not impossible – just a matter of saving money, booking the time off work and getting on that plane. Sounds easy, right?
If you could only ever recommend one book or author ever again what or who would it be?
A book that I recommend to lots of people is The Road Less Travelled. It’s all about how to live a happy, fulfilling life by realising that you are more in control than you think. It’s full of tough love (the main message is that life is hard, and sometimes life’s difficulties are your own fault) so it’s not going to work for everyone, but it was eye-opening for me.
Saying that, I never actually finished it (see above – I never finish books). It got a bit religious towards the end, so I lost interest.
If you had no restrictions what is the one activity that you would do?
With literally no restrictions whatsoever I’d use my omnipotence to bring about world peace and end all suffering, of course.
What is one song that always makes you happy?
X gon’ give it to ya by DMX. I listen to it to get pumped up when I have to do something scary, or to reward myself afterwards. I first heard it on a KFC advert, and sometimes I do an impression of the chicken from the advert to entertain my fiancé. Thankfully, he’s easily amused.
Share with the class one phrase, poem, lyric or quote that always gives you hope.
It may sound silly, but watching Spongebob Squarepants always give me hope. He may have a rubbish job, weird friends and things are always going wrong for him, but that plucky sponge never gives up hope.
Questions for my nominees
- Why did you start blogging?
- What do you think your life will be like in a year? And in ten years?
- What is your proudest achievement?
- What is your favourite blog post you’ve ever written?
- Apart from blogging, what are your hobbies?
- How would you describe your fashion style?
- What’s the best place you’ve ever been to?
- If you had £1000 (or equivalent in your currency), what would you spend it on? Or would you save it?
- What is the bravest thing you’ve ever done? What would you do if you were a little braver?
- What is/was your favourite class at school, college or university?
- What is one thing you want to learn or change in 2018?
- The Mum Affairs
- Vintage Frills
- No Light Without Darkness
- Shank You Very Much
- Man vs Adulthood
- My Cup of Tea
- Adventures Abroad
- 16 Bit Dad
I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s responses!